Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sushi Bowls to the Rescue



One of my regular cravings is sushi. At a very young age, my siblings and I were introduced to this delicacy and after being spoiled in college and eating it almost every single day, I crave it on a weekly basis. It is definitely one of those foods for me that the more you eat it, the more you crave it! When I began eating clean years ago, I was sworn off of white rice. Luckily, I was living in LA at the time so it was relatively easy to request brown rice. (Geisha House in Hollywood always happily obliged.)

On the Body Ecology Diet/ anti-candida diet, rice in general is not allowed for the first few stages. This made eating sushi pretty impossible until one day, I was determined to satisfy my craving. I went to a local natural grocer and after getting assistance and researching via Google, I was able to purchase (fresh, antibiotic-free) fish from the butcher. My selection included shrimp, smoked salmon, and raw tuna. And although the helpful grocer assured me other raw fish options would be safe, I didn't feel comfortable after reading some negative reviews online about potential bacteria and side effects from eating some raw options and salmon that hadn't been treated in some shape or form.

Moving on, I also was sure to pick up other staple ingredients including avocado, cucumber, and nori (seaweed paper). Please note: some seaweed paper isn't pure so be sure to read the ingredients because some hide sugar, soy, and other unnecessary ingredients. Lastly, the key replacement ingredient: quinoa! To begin, start cooking the quinoa first. I suggest you cook it longer than the suggested time frame, to achieve a stickier consistency (and you may need to continue to add water so it doesn't get too dry). While the quinoa is cooking, prepare and cook the shrimp. Then, cut your vegetables and fish in bite-size portions but try keeping the fish intact to easily and cleanly place in bowl.

When the quinoa is at the desired consistency (similar to sticky rice), add sea salt. Then, arrange the chopped fish, vegetables, and avocado in a bowl over the quinoa and garnish with the nori. Voila! Super easy and delicious. If you're a huge soy sauce fan, I would suggest using Coconut Aminos. Many people think Bragg Liquid Aminos is a healthier, gluten free alternative to soy sauce but it also contains soy, which has been shown to be potentially dangerous. If you suffer from candida, opt for sea salt. It really does the trick.

When setting the table, add small bowls of cut cucumber, avocado, and other ingredients so your guests can top off their quinoa with additional helpings.

If you're feeling even more ambitious or have some extra time on your hands, you can try rolling the sushi. Compress the quinoa in a flat square, cover with nori paper, dampen the paper with small amounts of water so that it adheres to the quinoa. Add fish 1/4 of the way in and roll with sushi roll mat. Although it was a little messy and slightly tedious, I was able to make a few intact hand rolls. I may eventually try using the nori on the outside as well, to see if it stays together better. But, the bowls are just as satisfying and extremely simple! Also, a wonderful addition: it was surprisingly inexpensive compared to eating at a sushi restaurant, costing no more than $13 a person and we had plenty of leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment