Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Vegan Pumpkin Custard


Yesterday I was feeling rather festive, which quickly resulted in my having a massive craving for pumpkin pie. If you saw my first food post, you can see that I do have an incredible gluten free, sugar free, soy free, dairy free, etc., etc. pumpkin pie that I will for sure eventually share BUT I was sort of wanting more immediate gratification!

So, I crossed my fingers and whipped up (literally) a fantastic raw, vegan, treat that more than sufficed for a quick pumpkin pie-like treat! Since almonds are used to make a delicious milk alternative, it makes a lot of sense that this would create a sweet, milky/ creamy flavor. Added bonus: it took 2 minutes to make! This treat does taste better after being chilled in the fridge.

What you will need:

- One 15 oz. can of pumpkin. (I use organic Farmer's Market brand because the can has a BPA free liner. Available at Whole Foods.)
-1/3 cup almonds, chopped.
-2 1/2-3 tablespoons brown Lakanto (or coconut sugar/ sweetener, if you don't have a candida issue).
-2 teaspoons pumpkin pie seasoning blend. (I love, love this pre-mixed spice of cinnamon, ginger, lemon peel, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, star anise, fennel, and black pepper. You can find this with the spices at almost any grocery. It also tastes wonderful in quinoa, paired with a natural sweetener.)
-1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract, preferably alcohol free.
-1 tablespoon water

What to do!

-Add almonds and water to a food processor (I used my Vitamix for this).
-After the almonds are in a powder form, add pumpkin, sweetener, vanilla, and seasoning.
-Blend until smooth.
-Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or almonds for garnish.

ENJOY!  I really enjoyed it with a hot cup of chai tea. Although, I love tea with almost everything.

My next attempt will be to add a little bit of crunch by making a simple crumble crust with butter, quinoa flour, and Lakanto. Baking it, letting it cool, and sprinkling on top for some added texture! Give it a try!

Good news: this is one of those sweet treats you can enjoy for breakfast and not feel the least bit guilty! This dish is packed with potassium, vitamins A and C, protein, and if you were as happy as I was after eating, it also has a mood boosting effect! *I actually just read that pumpkin boosts serotonin, which is said to give you a more positive outlook.





No comments:

Post a Comment